Saturday, May 5, 2012

Long Haul Trucker Update

I thought I would update my previous post on my Surly Long Haul Trucker since I've added a few components along the way to make the ride safer and more convenient. 

This stand was made from plans I found on the internet.  It makes the bicycle easier to work on and load up for a ride.

This bicycle is mainly used for commuting to work and around town so I usually use a single panier bag that holds just about everything I need.  The bag is made by Ortlieb and is waterproof in case I get caught in a downpour.

Here's a view of the "cockpit" which consists of a Garmin 60csx GPS that I use as a speedometer and a route recorder.  It also has the usual GPS capabilities like finding places of interest nearby or turn by turn directions.  I also have a Lezyne Superdrive LED light that puts out 450 lumens on high, 300 lumens on medium, 150 lumens on low and a blinking mode.  It has a rechargable battery that recharges via a USB port.  


The bell is a Portland Design Works "King of Ding".  Watch the video to see it in action.


The fenders are SKS Longboards which are designed to extend almost to the ground so as to catch the majority of the water that would otherwise be thrown up on the rider and the bicycle components.

The pump is a Topeak Turbomorph which I like because it is like a mini floor pump with a fold down footrest and a foldaway pressure gauge.  The waterbottle is a Camelback Podium bottle with a jet valve.  The stainless bottle to the front is a Thermos Vacuum Insulated Commuter Bottle which keeps your coffee or tea hot for hours, I love this bottle and take it everywhere.
The seat is a Brooks Flyer leather saddle that is made in England and even though it uses technology that has been around since the 1920's, it is the industry standard for touring bicycles.  It is the most comfortable seat I've tried yet.  The lock is a cable lock made in Canada by Damco.  The saddle bag was made by yours truly and contains all my tools.
The rear light made by Surfas is super bright and really gets your attention, especially in flash mode. The Ontario MTO website has a great section on safe bicycle riding and somewhere in there I saw a reference to the Highway Trafic Act that requires you to have reflective tape on your front and rear spokes.  Sarnia Bicycle Shop on Front Street sells if for a buck a foot.

I did have a Topeak handlebar bag on the front but found it to interfere with the view of the front tire on the road.  I have an idea how to install it a different way using a second stem mount but that's still in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment